- Contract law
Athina Fouchard Papaefstratiou specialises in international arbitration, public international law and general contract law. She has acted as counsel, arbitrator or administrative secretary in commercial and investment arbitrations in the energy, banking and finance, mining, construction and telecommunication sectors. Her experience includes ad hoc as well as institutional arbitrations under the ICSID, ICC, LCIA, CRCICA and CCIA arbitration rules.
Athina holds an LL.B. (Merits) from the University of Athens, an LL.M. (Merits) from Queen Mary College, University of London and a master’s degree (Merits) from the University Paris II Panthéon-Assas (scholarship on the merits from the Greek Ministry of Education).
Prior to joining Lazareff Le Bars, Athina worked as an associate in the international arbitration group of Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer LLP in Paris for six years. She also served as assistant legal counsel in the Office of International Standards and Legal Affairs of UNESCO for one year, acted as an independent practitioner and trained in different international law firms in London, Paris and Athens.
Athina regularly publishes and speaks at conferences on issues of arbitration and international law and is the Greek BITs reporter for the Investment Claims website of Oxford University Press. She is a member of ICC Hellas and several arbitration practitioners’ associations.
She is registered with the Bar in Paris and in Athens and speaks English, French, Greek and Spanish.
- Contract law
- Master’s degree in Private International Law and Law of International Commerce, Paris II University – Pantheon Assas (Merits)
- LL.M in corporate and commercial law, Queen Mary College, University of London (Merits)
- LL.B in law, Univesity of Athens (Merits)
- “Interim Measures In International Investment Arbitration” Investment Treaty Arbitration Review, 2017 (co-author: B. Le Bars)
- “Chronicle or CCJA Arbitration”, Revue de l’arbitrage, (under publication –September 2017) (co-author: B. Le Bars)
- “CETA: Creating Opportunities for your Business in 2017”, International Arbitration Law, February 2017 (co-authors: L. Ilie and H. Prodel)
- “The New ICC Expedited Procedure: Towards More Efficient Justice”, International Arbitration Law, February 2017
- “OHADA arbitration – A critical analysis”, Transnational Dispute Management (under publication)
- “The EU Proposal Regarding Investment Protection: The End of Investment Arbitration as We Know It?”, Kluwer Arbitration Blog, December 2015
- “TTIP: The French Proposal For a Permanent European Court for Investment Arbitration”, Kluwer Arbitration Blog, July 2015
- “BIT Country Review: Greece”. Presentation of Greece’s BIT policy and BIT network (Investment Claims website of Oxford University Press)
- “UNESCO’s Role in the Resolution of Disputes Relating to the Recovery of Cultural Goods”, Transnational Dispute Management (December 2013, co-authors M. Vicien-Milburn and A. Garcia-Marquez)
- “International Arbitration”, chapter in Ch. Pamboukis (ed.), International Trade Law (2009, in Greek, co-authors: G. Petrochilos and Ch. Zoumboulis)
- “Regulation in arbitration – the Issue of Arbitral Secretaries, AFSIA Conference, London, June 2016
- “Counterclaims in Investment Arbitration”, ICC YAF – Current Trends in Investment Arbitration, Frankfurt, March 2016
- “Arbitrage d’Investissement et Secteur Hôtelier – La Compétence du Tribunal Arbitral”, ICC YAF – Arbitration in the Hotel Industry, Paris, January 2016
- “La Protection des Investissements Etrangers à l’Ile Maurice”, 2ème Forum International Des Investisseurs à Madagascar et en Afrique (FIDIMA), Paris, December 2015
- “Enforcing Settlement Agreements in Arbitration Proceedings”, Cyprus Arbitration and Mediation Centre, Lemessos, November 2014
- “UNESCO’s Role in the Resolution of Disputes Relating to the Recovery of Cultural Goods”, Amsterdam University conference on art disputes, March 2013
- “Successful Arbitration Case Management”, ICC YAF, Berlin, June 2012
- ICC Hellas
- ICC YAF
- Arbitral Women
- ICDR Y&I
Athina Fouchard Papaesfstratiou, Counsel at Lazareff Le Bars, participated in a conference titled « Hot Topics in Investment Arbitration », organised by Africa International Legal Awareness (AILA). The conference […]Learn more
Athina Fourchard Papaefstratiou, speaker in a seminar organised by CAMC (Cyprus Arbitration & Mediation Centre) in Cyprus on 7 November 2017
The one-day seminar on “Particular Problems in International Arbitration” will take place in Nicosia, Cyprus, on 7 November 2017. Athina Fourchard Papaefstratiou, Counsel at Lazareff Le Bars and member of […]Learn more
Athina Fouchard Papaefstratiou will be speaking in the conference on “Hot Topics in Investment Arbitration” in Lagos, Nigeria, on 31 October 2017
Athina Fouchard Papaefstratiou, counsel in commercial and investment disputes at Lazareff Le Bars, will be speaking in the conference organised by AILA (Africa International Legal Awareness) on “Hot Topics in […]Learn more
Athina Fouchard Papaefstratiou, speaker at the next conference organised by Sciences Po Law School on the 13th of March.
Athina Fouchard Papaefstratiou, counsel in international commercial and investment disputes at Lazareff Le Bars, has been invited to be in the line-up for the conference on “The future of investment […]Learn more