Athina Fouchard Papaefstratiou specialises in international arbitration, public international law and general contract law. She has acted as counsel, arbitrator or administrative secretary in commercial and investment arbitrations in the energy, banking and finance, mining, construction and telecommunication sectors. Her experience includes ad hoc as well as institutional arbitrations under the ICSID, ICC, LCIA, CRCICA and CCIA arbitration rules.
|Athina holds an LL.B. (Merits) from the University of Athens, an LL.M. (Merits) from Queen Mary College, University of London and a master’s degree (Merits) from the University Paris II Panthéon-Assas (scholarship on the merits from the Greek Ministry of Education).
Prior to joining Lazareff Le Bars, Athina worked as an associate in the international arbitration group of Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer LLP in Paris for six years. She also served as assistant legal counsel in the Office of International Standards and Legal Affairs of UNESCO for one year, acted as an independent practitioner and trained in different international law firms in London, Paris and Athens.
Athina regularly publishes and speaks at conferences on issues of arbitration and international law and is the Greek BITs reporter for the Investment Claims website of Oxford University Press. She is a member of ICC Hellas and several arbitration practitioners’ associations.
She is registered with the Bar in Paris and in Athens and speaks English, French, Greek and Spanish.
- Master’s degree in Private International Law and Law of International Commerce, Paris II University – Pantheon Assas (Merits)
- LL.M in corporate and commercial law, Queen Mary College, University of London (Merits)
- LL.B in law, Univesity of Athens (Merits)
- “Interim Measures In International Investment Arbitration” Investment Treaty Arbitration Review, 2017 (co-author: B. Le Bars)
- “Chronicle or CCJA Arbitration”, Revue de l’arbitrage, (under publication –September 2017) (co-author: B. Le Bars)
- “CETA: Creating Opportunities for your Business in 2017”, International Arbitration Law, February 2017 (co-authors: L. Ilie and H. Prodel)
- “The New ICC Expedited Procedure: Towards More Efficient Justice”, International Arbitration Law, February 2017
- « OHADA arbitration – A critical analysis », Transnational Dispute Management (under publication)
- “The EU Proposal Regarding Investment Protection: The End of Investment Arbitration as We Know It?”, Kluwer Arbitration Blog, December 2015
- “TTIP: The French Proposal For a Permanent European Court for Investment Arbitration”, Kluwer Arbitration Blog, July 2015
- “BIT Country Review: Greece”. Presentation of Greece’s BIT policy and BIT network (Investment Claims website of Oxford University Press)
- “UNESCO’s Role in the Resolution of Disputes Relating to the Recovery of Cultural Goods”, Transnational Dispute Management (December 2013, co-authors M. Vicien-Milburn and A. Garcia-Marquez)
- “International Arbitration”, chapter in Ch. Pamboukis (ed.), International Trade Law (2009, in Greek, co-authors: G. Petrochilos and Ch. Zoumboulis)
- « Regulation in arbitration – the Issue of Arbitral Secretaries, AFSIA Conference, London, June 2016
- “Counterclaims in Investment Arbitration”, ICC YAF – Current Trends in Investment Arbitration, Frankfurt, March 2016
- “Arbitrage d’Investissement et Secteur Hôtelier – La Compétence du Tribunal Arbitral”, ICC YAF – Arbitration in the Hotel Industry, Paris, January 2016
- “La Protection des Investissements Etrangers à l’Ile Maurice”, 2ème Forum International Des Investisseurs à Madagascar et en Afrique (FIDIMA), Paris, December 2015
- “Enforcing Settlement Agreements in Arbitration Proceedings”, Cyprus Arbitration and Mediation Centre, Lemessos, November 2014
- “UNESCO’s Role in the Resolution of Disputes Relating to the Recovery of Cultural Goods”, Amsterdam University conference on art disputes, March 2013
- “Successful Arbitration Case Management”, ICC YAF, Berlin, June 2012
- ICC Hellas
- ICC YAF
- Arbitral Women
- ICDR Y&I